December 31, 2011 - The Year of Self-Denial
This year is notable for a majority of the media and world citizens practicing wide-spread denial of reality and personal responsibility.
1. The Banking and Investment community refuses to take responsibility for their role in bringing down not only the US economy, as well as world wide, but refusing to recognize that their continued risky practices with their depositors money keeps the economy in decline. Most serious is their refusal to regulate derivatives and to take account of the vast array of priceless commodity swaps that are off their books and by themselves would make the banks too big to fail seem insolvent.
2. The inability or unwillingness of the Obama administration to totally revamp that industry by breaking up the banks too big to fail; accounting for worthless investment instrument; and restructuring the industry forcibly by bringing back the Glass-Steegal Act.
3. The Republican Presidential candidates total unwillingness and ignorance of what is going on in this country that affects their constituents' struggling to make ends meet and their continuing blather about such unimportant and harmful stands on universal health care, the charge of murder regarding abortion, their desire to rewrite the constitution and invest undue powers in the Executive, and strong strain of stupidity, mean-spiriteness, and grasping onto a set of ideologies that are pure fantasy and irrelevant to governance.
3. The media's failure to recognize that they are the carriers of the big lie spread by the media, the right wing Tea Party national legislators, and various talking heads and writing observers. Their irresponsibility in not providing a detailed analysis of both that big lie but the Republican Presidential candidates, who to a person do not have the character or intelligence to even become the party's candidate. That the media fail to pinpoint and underscore their total denial of the basic provisions of the Constitution with regard to social and economic equity provides the fertile soil for the scandalous backgrounds and behaviors of radicals on all sides of the political spectrum and the proliferation of blogs that add to the confusion and build up the pile of lies and deception about the reality of our world-wide moral relapse. Raising false hopes about the potential for a kind of Jeffersonian democracy following the Arab Spring, when in fact the future of these country's political environment will continue to be dominated by religious and political dictatorship.
4. The self-denial of the voting public to understand that racism and religious and ethnic bigotry are thriving and have spawned outrageous disrespect and misrepresentation of President Obama, illegal immigrants, voting rights of minorities and foreign born, and their refusal to recognize that their right wing representatives in Congress are hell-bent on taking away the government's role in social security, medical treatment, and, unemployment benefits. Almost totally unrecognized as some of the root causes of those voters' role in denying their own rights is their twisted belief that they are less worthy than the 1% who believe they are supreme and the 99% lazy and shiftless and not deserving of temporary government relief.
5. The military's failure to recognize that their continued support of troops in Afghanistan will not change anything there and that their words of promised victory of some kind with new tactics is an echo of Vietnam. Like Iraq's decline into a bigoted and corrupt strong man government, Afghanistan is crippled by its wide-spread corruption of all kinds and an unspoken cozy relationship with Pakistan that keeps the Taliban and competing tribes in power and supplied by arms.